Pages

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Resolution 7/52 and 8/52

I haven't given up on my resolutions. I just haven't written about them the past few weeks. I was in rough shape last week, after the drama with my gall bladder, the incident with the axe and all the sick boys in my house. So I made it my goal to go easy on myself. I did a lot of resting in the evenings, a lot of reading and writing on the couch, and not much of anything else. I did manage to get some things done, but mostly I let myself take a break. And it was just what I needed. I feel a bit more rested {just a bit, because hey... a working mum with two little boys under the age of 6 is pretty much on the go almost all the time!} and a lot more ready to tackle what comes next.

And this week coming, it's got a lot to do with food! I have cakes to bake, birthday dinners to prepare, Mardi Gras pancakes to whip up... and a very strong desire to keep things as healthy as I can. I don't want to end up back in the ER, after all. And so, my goal for the second week of March is to get back in the habit of making healthy weekly meal plans, and to avoid eating too much of that cake {if any}.


I've got some fantastic recipe books to use, and a stack of Everyday Food magazines to refer to, as I draw up the menu for the week. I'd like each meal to include food from all four food groups, and to be especially heavy on the fruit, veggies and lean protein. I've been shopping now and have loaded up on all sorts of good stuff. Want to see what I've come up with? It's not too bad considering it's a bit of a festive week:

Monday- black bean soup and tossed salad, multi-grain toast
Tuesday- pancakes, in honour of Shrove Tuesday {crepe-style, with fresh strawberries and blueberries and just a teeny bit of whipped cream, or stuffed with ham and cheese}
Wednesday- shepherd's pie, veggies and dip, birthday cake {homemade chocolate}!
Thursday- chicken breast, brown rice with spinach, peppers and light feta
Friday- homemade veggie pizzas and salad
Saturday- homemade falafel, whole wheat pita, tzatziki and salad

It's a start, right? In addition, I'm really pushing the water {a past resolution that I always find so difficult!}, and chopping up lots of apples for snacking on. Just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and the boys seem to go for it... Maybe because it sort of smells like apple pie? Whatever works.

3 comments:

  1. Make room for one more, please. 'Cause I just invited myself over for dinner this week! Hope your week is off to a great start, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly amaze me, Erin. I don't know how you do all you do. Can I come over and take lessons? Will pay you in homemade cooking and baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owie! I am so far behind--I didn't know about your finger! That really stinks. But your meal plan sounds divine. Can I come over? :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...