Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Heading home


Day 6 was loooong. We were up at 6:30 a.m. to get ready to go, and on the road by 8:15. It was sad to say good-bye to Em, but I didn't cry as much as I thought I would! Managed plenty of tears later in the day though when:
a) I misplaced my boarding passes somewhere in the Lyon airport! (can you say suuuuuper stressful?)
b) My flight to London was delayed by almost two hours
c) I finally arrived in London, dashed through passport control and hurried out into the Arrivals area, excited to have a few hours with my in-laws. I quickly discovered, though, that Steve and Jan were nowhere to be seen. They had been at Heathrow for hours, but several people at BA had told them I wouldn't be allowed through security (who were these people? because they were completely misinformed!) , due to my delay, and so they'd gone home!!! Sigh. So disappointing. We'd been so close to seeing each other! Had to indulge in some major retail therapy in Terminal 5 to cheer myself up (oh, Boots, how I love you!) and brace myself for another journey through the heavy-duty, full-body-pat-down, take-off-your-shoes, let-us-look-through-your-bags Heathrow security...
d) My flight to Vancouver was delayed (of course), causing me to miss the last bus to the ferries. Ugh! Had to get a cab, and you do not even want to know how much that cost!

I got on the 9 o'clock boat, which docked at Swartz Bay an hour and a half later (don't really recall much of the journey, as I almost immediately passed out against a window on the upper deck!) In the end, I made it home safe and sound, just before midnight, a good 27 hours after I'd got up that morning. Whew! Was I ever glad to drink the tea Alan made me, sneak into the boys' rooms to give them a kiss, and climb into my lovely bed.

4 days in France is most definitely not enough. But I don't regret going for a second. I was so glad to see Em, so thrilled to be there for her on such an important day, and so happy to finally get to see a little bit of the beautiful country that I know I'll return to one day, hopefully quite soon.

And now, I have got to get myself to bed. I am still suffering from some serious jetlag... But just before I go, a post-trip 3BT:

1. Em had her final round of chemo today! Hurray! (too bad I couldn't still be there with her to celebrate that major accomplishment!)
2. Sawyer is now half-way to being potty-trained, thanks to Alan's efforts while I was away. Soon, we shall be diaper free! Just think of the money we'll save, money that can be deposited straight into the London/France savings account...
3. Before I go to sleep, will read some more of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Watch this space for a Book of the Week review just as soon as I've finished!

Bonne nuit, mes amies. Write soon,
E

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures, beautiful scenery, and you are a beautiful friend to Em.
    "une visite d'un ami est mieux que médecine"

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...