Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cold outside, cozy in



It is freezing out there today. There'll be frost on the ground as soon as the sun sets, I'm sure. It's good to be indoors, with a fire in the woodstove, slippers on my feet and a pot of spicy parsnip soup simmering in the kitchen. Perhaps I'll make some baking powder biscuits to go with it...

Will try to get back tonight, and post some photos from Christmas morning. Was it only just 4 days ago?

E xo

Post-edit: Anna from Acquainted with the Night asked for my parsnip soup recipe, so here it is {I'm on vacation! I've actually got time to do this stuff!} It's from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups {thanks again to my lovely Em for that fabulous cookbook!} and it really is delicious. Enjoy!

4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
6 cups stock of choice (I used veg stock)
1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half (I had neither, so I used 2% milk)
salt and white pepper to taste
chopped parsley, as garnish

1. Melt butter in a good-sized soup pot and add prepared vegetables. Saute lightly 2 to 3 minutes
2. Sprinkle the curry and ginger on top and stir veggies thoroughly. Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the soup, covered, for around 3o minutes (long enough to play outside in the garden and wear out your rambunctious kids in the chilly winter air).
3. Blend until thick and creamy (I have a hand blender that I stick right into the pot, but you can pour into a regular blender or food processor and return to pot after). Reheat the soup, add the cream and seasonings and stir well. Serve hot with some freshly chopped parsley as garnish.
4. I highly recommend serving with fresh baked baking powder biscuits (that's what I did). Or maybe a crispy loaf of French bread.
Bon appetit!

5 comments:

  1. Woah! I am so jealous!
    A working fire place? I just have this santa like blanket and the heater on! Have a good time indoors! Oh and share a recipe?

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious and just perfect for a cold, cold day. Here the temps have decided to warm up to at least double what they were a week ago, so now everyone feels boiled to death! Crazy.

    Hope you enjoyed a toasty family day indoors with your tasty feast.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... i could really use some soup today - it's freezing!! :) enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this your new living room!!! How completely heavenly!!!

    So happy for you Erin ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, that's not my new living room! Just a lovely photo of a cozy fireplace! Our new living room is very pretty though...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...