Hello and happy Labour Day! It's almost 9 o'clock and I'm still on the go, getting ready for tomorrow, my first day of work since June! Going back to school is always exciting and nerve-wracking, so I'm trying to stay on top of everything that needs to be done. I spent most of the day today in the kitchen, making lunches and dinners and even baking a blackberry pie from scratch (we picked the berries in the pouring rain this morning... and let me tell you, it was sooo worth the effort!)
Anyway, as part of my scheme to be super-organized this school year, I've decided to plan our meals for the week each Saturday, go shopping for everything I need on Sunday, and therefore save myself a lot of hassle/stress every weeknight when I walk through the door. This week we'll be having:
- Monday- baked salmon and spaghetti squash, steamed broccoli and corn-on-the-cob
- Tuesday- veggie shepherd's pie (which I made today... just have to heat it up after work tomorrow) and salad
- Wednesday- chicken fajitas
- Thursday- soup and sandwiches with veggies and dip (I'm going to prep the soup on Wednesday and turn on the slow-cooker Thursday morning as we walk out the door!)
- Friday- breakfast for dinner (I'm thinking crepes...)
- Saturday- vegetarian chili with brown rice and salad
Well? What do you think? Am I on fire or what? I love knowing ahead of time what's happening, and I always feel better when I'm prepared, don't you? I'd love to hear your simple recipes and dinner ideas. I figure if I can stay motivated, we'll be sure to eat healthy every night of the week and not end up eating chicken nuggets too often! So please, do send your favourites my way. And tell me, too, won't you... how did you spend your Labour Day?
Okay, time to pack the school bags for tomorrow and make myself a cup of decaf tea. I'll try to pop back at some point (maybe on my lunch hour?) with all the back-to-school news, though the real excitement around here isn't until Friday, Dylan's first official day of kindergarten! More soon, my sweets, and lots more London stuff to come as well...
image via here