Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Loving the Olympics

I still remember the day they announced that Vancouver had won the bid for the 2010 Olympics. It was in 2002, and 2010 seemed like a million years away. And yet, here we are! Olympic fever has hit, and the games are a short ferry ride away. We aren't brave (or rich) enough to face the crowds and head into the big city to take part in the festivities, but we've had a great time enjoying them on TV. Last Friday night were the spectacular Opening Ceremonies. And we just had to celebrate!

We made pizzas (with red peppers and feta cheese... very Canada-flag-ish, non?) and spread a big red blanket out on the living room floor. Our Olympic picnic, we called it. There was also a big bowl of popcorn, mugs of hot chocolate and ice cream sundaes with Micaela's mini M&Ms (in all the colours of the Olympic rings!) We got cozy in front of the TV,

donned our patriotic Canada gear,

waved our flags and ate our pizza,

looked up every country in the children's atlas (as each team marched into the stadium... I love the Parade of Nations!)

and cheered when all 206 of our Canadian athletes came marching in!

It was really very moving. And so much fun to watch. I loved the performances by all the talented Canadian artists (KD Lang's rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was gorgeous, wasn't it?)

Go, Canada, Go!

The boys were thrilled to be allowed to stay up to watch the entire ceremony, including Wayne Gretzky's long ride to light the external cauldron on the waterfront! I am certain that Dylan will always remember it. It was a moment in history, and I'm glad we got to be a part of it in our own little way.

PS: Now, this does not mean that I support the billions of dollars that have been spent on the Olympic extravaganza. Nor do I think the money is better spent on the Games than say, child welfare, healthcare or education. But I do think it's pretty amazing that such a huge, world-class event, is happening right here in our fair province. And I am really proud to be a Canadian. The Olympics just brings it out in me that little bit more!

4 comments:

  1. I cannot believe I have not watched the olympics yet! Wow, I have seriously been really busy andd I guess watching tv isn't my first choice anyways.

    Glad you're enjoying them with the little guys!

    Xoxo- Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there!
    Thanks for your sweet comment! :)
    I love this post. It is so adorable. I too watched the Olympics' opening ceremony. I have to agree that it was moving. My favorite part was the welcoming from the First Nations (I think that's what they called them). It was sooo beautiful! It was a very artistically stimulating event, for sure!
    How cool that you all looked up the countries so that your kids could be informed of the world around them. I love it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you looked up each country...what a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Elizabeth that it is a fantastic that you looked up all the countries in the atlas.
    I have watched quite a bit of the skating but unfortunately I only saw the highlights of the opening ceremony.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...