Pages

Monday, October 05, 2009

Run for the Cure

Well, we did it! 5 km in just over 45 minutes! Not bad for a first attempt, and I'm sure with more training, we can do it in even better time next year.

However, the time isn't really what's important. What really stood out to me was the way it made me feel, seeing all those people affected, in some way, by breast cancer. The sea of pink was inspiring, each and every one of us there to show our love and support for someone who has battled this terrible disease. There were moments when we cried, and other moments when we were full of hope. It was an amazing and empowering experience. I felt energized and exhilarated. And exhausted when it was all over!


There were pink balloons everywhere. I don't think I've ever thought a pink balloon was so beautiful! And just look at the bright blue sky. It was a perfect day.


Amanda's husband and her boys came to cheer us on.

The air was chilly early in the morning, and there was a cold wind blowing. Good thing we had our warm and cozy pink feather boas!

I started with a jacket. Quickly got rid of that.

The crowd warms up to music and follows some energetic "jazzercisers!"

Ready, set, go!!!

This is the balloon arch as we ran under it. Love it.

Amanda ran her little heart out.

So did I.

After we finished, we wrote on the "Messages of Hope" wall. I felt so grateful that mine was a message for a wonderful friend who is still very much alive, and well on the road to recovery. The messages that talked of loved ones who were lost was heartbreaking. And all the more reason to keep on running.

Time to sit down and have some snacks.

And get a pink ribbon tattoo, bien sur!

See mine?

Victory!!!

Run for the Cure 2009 raised over 26 million dollars. Wow. I am so proud to have played a part. Thanks to all of you who cheered me on. I hope I can count on you to do the same in 2010. And even more than that, I hope that Em herself is able to run next year. Now that would be fantastic!
E xo

4 comments:

  1. Well done! we are so proud of you and will support you every year.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to celebrate your friendship and support for your friend Em. You have inspried me to show my support! Next year I would love to join you and Amanda and run for everyone women,their family and friends who have been effected by breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great feat Erin, everyone is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me all emotional all over again. I was telling someone about it today and started crying. So great at the same time too.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...