Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Book of the Week

"Once there was a boy and one day he found a penguin at his door..." 

I love this book. It's such a simple story, but it is so lovely. It is definitely one of my top 10 favourite picture books of all time. The words are carefully chosen and the watercolour illustrations are gorgeous. I love that the hero is a normal little boy who decides to do something remarkable for his friend, who just happens to be a penguin (and who can resist a penguin?). I brought a copy home from school this week, and Dylan and I have been reading it every day. We saw the short film (see a trailer for it here) version of the story at Christmas, and I have to say that I think it is even better than the book. They've captured the beauty of the story and the illustrations, and added the most amazing music and narration. It will make you cry (well, okay, it might not make you cry, but it definitely makes me well up!) and you will be filled with joy at the end, I promise. I cannot recommend Oliver Jeffers' Lost and Found enough. 
E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...